The LiFEsports Youth Leadership Academy (YLA) is dedicated to preparing youth for college and post-secondary educational opportunities. The YLA seeks to expand on the important skills taught at the LiFEsports Summer Camp and clinics (i.e., self-control, effort, teamwork, and social responsibility) by providing high school youth with additional educational experiences that will help them gain the necessary skills to succeed at work and life, as well as the knowledge of what it takes to be a leader at LiFEsports and in their community. YLA is a four-year program for participants, with an annual registration process. Youth entering the program for the first time will be considered a Year 1 Youth Leader. Each year of YLA consists of a different theme:
Year 1 – Plan: Essential leadership and communication skills.
Year 2 – Prepare: Introduction to college and career readiness.
Year 3 – Practice: Simulated college and career readiness activities.
Year 4 – Perform: One on one action towards college/post-secondary education.
These themes are incorporated into the program activities throughout the course of the year. Each year the YLA begins in September and ends in August with a celebration of youth. This year, the YLA will occur on the first and third Tuesday of each month from 6 – 8 p.m.beginning in September. Please note that there are few variances in this schedule for the Overnight Retreat, the College Visit, and a trip to Camp Mary Orton. Below are the anticipated program dates for 2019-20.
- Session1 Program Kick-Off: Tuesday, September 17th (Parents/Guardians and Youth)
- Session 2: Tuesday, October 1st
- Session 3: Tuesday, October 15th
- Session 4: Friday – Sunday, November 1st – 3rd
- Session 5: Tuesday, November 19th
- Session 6: Tuesday, December 3rd
- Session 7: Tuesday, December 17th
- Session 8: Tuesday, January 7th
- Session 9: Tuesday, January 21st
- Session 10: Tuesday, February 4th
- Session 11: Tuesday, February 18th
- College Visit to Akron University and Kent State University – Friday, March 13th
- Session 12: Tuesday, April 7th
- Session 13: Tuesday, April 21st
- Session 14: Tuesday, May 5th
- Session 15: Tuesday, May 19th
- Session 15: Camp Youth Leader Training: Tuesday, June 2nd and Wednesday, June 3rd
- Summer Camp: June 8th – July 3rd (Monday – Friday only)
- YLA Celebration: TBA
Youth will also plan and participate in two community service activities during the course of the program.
For questions, contact Stephen Moore at email@example.com.