YOUTH LEADERSHIP ACADEMY Program Overview
The LiFEsports Youth Leadership Academy (YLA) is dedicated to preparing youth for college and post-secondary educational opportunities. The YLA seeks to expand on the important skills taught at the LiFEsports Summer Camp and clinics (i.e., self-control, effort, teamwork, and social responsibility) by providing high school youth with additional educational experiences that will help them gain the necessary skills to succeed at work and life, as well as the knowledge of what it takes to be a leader at LiFEsports and in their community. YLA is a four-year program for participants, with an annual registration process. Youth entering the program for the first time will be considered a Year 1 Youth Leader. Each year of YLA consists of a different theme:
Year 1 – Plan: Essential leadership and communication skills.
Year 2 – Prepare: Introduction to college and career readiness.
Year 3 – Practice: Simulated college and career readiness activities.
Year 4 – Perform: One on one action towards college/post-secondary education.
These themes are incorporated into the program activities throughout the course of the year. Each year the YLA begins in September and ends in August with a celebration of youth. This year, the YLA will occur on the second AND fourth Tuesday of each month from 6 – 8 p.m.beginning in September. Please note that there are few variances in this schedule for the Overnight Retreat, the College Visit, and a trip to Camp Mary Orton. Below are the anticipated program dates for 2018-19.
- Program Kick Off: Tuesday, September 11th (Parents/Guardians and Youth)
- Overnight Retreat: September 21st– 23rd
- Session 1: Tuesday, October 9th
- Session 2: Tuesday, October 23rd
- Session 3: Tuesday, November 13th
- Session 4: Tuesday, November 27th
- Session 5: Tuesday, December 11th
- Session 6: Tuesday, January 8th
- Session 7: Tuesday, January 22nd
- Session 8: Tuesday, February 12th
- Session 9: Tuesday, February 26th
- College Visit to Akron University & Kent State University – Friday, March 15th
- Session 10: Tuesday, April 9th
- Session 11: Tuesday, April 23rd
- Session 12: Camp Mary Orton: Saturday, May 18th
- Session 13: Camp Youth Leader Training: Wednesday, June 5thand Thursday, June 6th
- Summer Camp: June 10th– July 3rd(Monday – Friday only)
- YLA Celebration: Still to be determined
Youth will also plan and participate in two community service activities during the course of the program. One will occur during the Fall/Winter and the second in the Spring/Summer.